Powell-Young Marriage Vows Are Pledged

BENNETTSVILLE – (Special) – Miss Sarah Magdalene Powell, daughter of the Rev. and Mrs. Charles Timothy Powell, Sr., of Bennettsville, became the bride of Earl La Vaughan Young of Chester, Son of the Rev. and Mrs. Hubert Eugene Young of Blackville, at 8 p.m. July 23 in the Pentecostal Holiness Church of Bennettsville. The Rev. William C. Welch of Cheraw officiated.

Present a program of wedding music were Mrs. Janice Sharpe of Durham, North Carolina, organist, and the Rev. Wallas F. Sharpe, soloist of Durham, North Carolina.

The Rev. Hubert E. Young of Blackville, father of the bridegroom, was best man. Ushers were Charles Timothy Powell, Fred Richard Powell and Billy Jasper Powell, all brothers of the bride of Bennettsville; Theiron Young of Laurinburg, North Carolina, Laurin James Young, Maxton, North Carolina, and William Eugene Young of McColl, all brothers of the bridegroom.

Bridesmaids were Misses Christine Cannon and Gladys Cannon of Blaney, cousins of the bride; Joyce Young, Joan Young, and Donna Fae Young of Blackville, sisters of the bridegroom, and Nancy Powell, sister of the bride of Bennettsville. They wore yellow sheath dresses of taffeta with Chantilly lace over skirt and sweetheart neckline. Their bouquets were nosegays of yellow asters and centered with bachelor buttons and white ribbon streamers.

Matron of honor was Mrs. Joyce Caldwell of Columbia who wore a blue sheath dress of taffeta with sweetheart neckline and chantilly lace overskirt. She carried a larger nosegays of yellow asters and blue bachelor buttons and blue streamers.

Maid of honor was Miss Barbara Ann Powell of Bennettsville, sister of the bride, who was dressed identical to the matron of honor.

Ring bearer was Gary Young, nephew of the bridegroom of McColl, and flower girl was Mary Joyce Quick of Bennettsville.

Given in marriage by her father, the bride was lovely in her gown of Duchess satin with Contessa perma pleated nylon tulle and Romanesque lace with Chantilly flounce. The bodice was fitted with long capped sleeves of lace and collar of scalloped lace and pearlized sequins. The skirt was five tiers of perma pleated nylon tulle over the stain and was covered with a lace flounce and extending to the full length of the skirt in the back and a short chapel train. She wore a Rosette tiara of pearls and pearlized sequins and a veil of hand rolled edging of French imported veillette. She carried a white pearl Bible topped with purple throated white orchid and lilies of the valle. THe white ribbon streamers were tied in little knots with greenery and lily of the valley.

Immediately following the ceremony a reception was held at the Church Parsonage.

After a wedding trip to the mountains of Western North Carolina and Tennessee, the couple will be at home on 207 Redbud St., Bennettsville. For traveling the bride wore a blue embroidered eyelet dress and black patent accessories and the orchid lifted from her Bible.

The bride is a 1956 graduate of Chester High school and she attended Emmanuel College, in Franklin Springs, Ga. She is presently employed in the Accounting Dept. at Boro Wood Products of Bennettsville.

The bridegroom is a 1956 graduate of Maxton High school, Maxton, North Carolina, and is a graduate of Holmes Theological Seminary in Greenville, where he received his B. S. I. degree. He was former pastor of the Pentecostal Holiness Church in Chester.

August 7, 1960  State (published as The State)  
Columbia, South Carolina
Page 20

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.