NEW SCHOOL YEAR STARTS: Monday, Aug. 9
BUILDING UP: Among new construction and renovations:
* Kelly Mill Middle School opens
* Major addition at E.L. Wright Middle School
* New science building at Richland Northeast High School
* New district stadium at Blythewood High School
* New portables placed at Lake Carolina and Round Top elementary schools, the district’s two newest schools, due to growth
* The Freshman at Blythewood Program is the new freshman academy at Blythewood Middle School. It’s for students who attended Blythewood Middle and are zoned for the new Blythewood High School opening in 2005.
IT’S ACADEMIC: Among academic notes:
* The Single Gender Education Magnet Program at Dent Middle School will open with about 80 sixth-graders, who will be separated by gender in all classes this year. And at Summit Parkway Middle, some sixth-graders will be separated by gender for core content classes.
* The Clemson Road Child Development Center, located on the campus of Killian Elementary, will open with six additional classes for 4-year-olds.
* All middle school teachers will explore differentiated instruction to meet the needs of diverse learners. Instructional strategies include flexible grouping, learning profiles, tiered assignments and more.
Kershaw CountyNEW SCHOOL YEAR STARTS: Thursday, Aug. 5
JUST FOR FRESHMEN: Freshman academies for all ninth-graders at Lugoff-Elgin High School and Camden High School. The academies will allow ninth-graders to share the same teachers for all core courses.
SMALLER CLASSES: Elementary schools will have smaller kindergarten classes, with a staffing ratio of 20 to 1. First and second grades will continue to be staffed at 18 to 1.
NEW FACES: Among the district’s new administrators and principals:
* Blaney Elementary School: Lisa Carter, principal, and Michael Manning, assistant principal
* Leslie M. Stover School: Sandie Ellis, assistant principal
* Lugoff-Elgin High School: Brian Sherman, assistant principal
* Pine Tree Hill Elementary School: Robert Yount, assistant principal
* Wateree Elementary: Lindsay Christofaro, assistant principal
FACILITY IMPROVEMENTS: Over the summer, five schools were painted as part of the district’s effort to paint all schools on a rotating basis: Camden Middle, Camden High, North Central High, Mount Pisgah Elementary and the Continuous Learning Center. During the year, work will start on a new roof for Camden Middle School.