John Goff was counted in the census on 22 Apr 1910 in Wateree, Kershaw, South Carolina, USA, as a 18 year old, male, single, white, son. Also in the home was his father, Henry Goff; his mother, Eliza Goff; and siblings, Eddie Goff, Della Goff, Mattie Goff, Ira Goff, Gary Goff and Ethel Goff.
According to the United States census reported on April 30, 1930, John P Goff (38), rented a home in Wateree, Kershaw County, South Carolina, with his wife, Maggie M Gaff (36), and their children; Ezell C Gaff (17), Rena E Gaff (15), Mildred A Gaff (13), Susie L Gaff (11), Eloise L Gaff (9), Thelma E Gaff (6), James H Gaff (4), Linwood J Gaff (2), Le Ray F Gaff (1). All family members were born in South Carolina. John P Goff was a farmer on general farm and Ezell C Gaff was a farm laborer on a farm.
According to the United States census reported on April 15, 1940, J R Goff (48), rented a home in Wateree, Kershaw County, South Carolina, with his wife, Maggie Goff (46), and their children; Ezell Goff (25), Rena Goff (25), Susie Goff (21), Eloise Goff (18), Thelma Goff (16), James Goff (14), Linwood Goff (12), Leroy Goff (10), Wylan Goff (3). All family members were born in South Carolina and lived in the same house on April 1, 1935. J R Goff was a farm operator on a farm, Ezell Goff and Rena Goff were laborers on the farm, and Susie Goff was a laborer with the N. Y. A. Project.
In 1900, John was first listed as a 9 year old son, in household no. 478 in Wateree with his father and mother, and siblings. In 1910, John was listed as 18 year old son, living in household no. 109 in Wateree, with his mother and father and 6 siblings. John was listed as a laborer for a home farm. He was described as a medium height and built with blue eyes and black hair. On June 5, 1917, John filed out a registration card stating that he currently lived in and was born in Blaney on October 6, 1891. It was reported that he worked for Mr. Hinson as a farmer. At this time he had a wife and three children who he claimed as dependent and requested and exemption from service. In 1920, John was listed as a 28 year old head of a rented farm house living in household no. 104 in Wateree with his wife, Maggie, son Ezelle, daughters Reyna, Mildred, and Susie Lee. John and Maggie’s occupation was listed as farmers. In 1930, John Preston was listed a 38 year old head of a rented farm house living in household no. 273 in Wateree with his wife Maggie, sons Ezelle, James Goff, Linwood, Leroy and daughters, Rena, Mildred, Susie, Eloise and Thelma. John and Ezelle were listed a farmers. In 1940, John Preston was listed as a 48 years old renting a farm for $3.00 per month in Wateree, his occupation was listed as an operator of a farm. Also in the home was his wife, Maggie, son Ezell a laborer on a farm, Rena a laborer on a farm, daughter Susie who worked as a Laborer with the National Youth Administration, daughter Eloise was a student, daughter Thelma was a student, son James Goff was a student, son Linwood was a student, son Leroy was a student, and Wylan was a student.
John Preston and Maggie are buried in Highway Pentecostal Holiness Church Cemetery.
To this union was born:
- Ezelle Cleveland Goff, Sr. (May 19, 1912 – February 3 1950) married Mattie Rebecca Ray. Ezelle passed away at the age of 37, he is buried in HIghway Pentecostal Holiness Church Cemetery. To this union was born.
- Ezell Cleveland Goff, Jr. (Dec 4, 1945 – December 5, 1945) He is buried in Highway Pentecostal Holiness Church Cemetery. (Pull Death Certs)
- Rena Elizabeth Goff (March 22, 1915, Elgin – before 1990) married Rubin Kneely (May 24, 1920 Camden – June 1, 1981), the son of George Humphries and Mamie Elizabeth Branham.
- Mildred Goff (born about 1918)
- Susie Lee Goff (December 17, 1918 – March 15 1984)
- Eloise Goff (About 1922, South Carolina)
- Thelma Goff ( About 1924, South Carolina)
- James Goff (about 1926, South Carolina)
- John Linwood Goff (June 1, 1927 – June 28, 1973) He is buried in Highway Pentecostal Holiness Church Cemetery.
- Leroy Goff (about 1930, South Carolina)
- Margaret Goff (August 5, 1932 – March 23, 1933). She is buried in Highway Pentecostal Holiness Church Cemetery.
- Paul Preston Goff ( August 27, 1934 Blaney – September 05, 1934 Wateree) Paul Preston passed away when he was 9 days old due to Spina Bifida, he is buried in the Highway Pentecostal Holiness Church Cemetery on September 5, 1938.
- Wylan Goff (1937, South Carolina)
Certificate of Death
On December 30, 1046, J. P. Goff was mentioned as a living son in the obituary of William Henry Goff.
On August 5, 2000, John Preston Goff was mentioned as the deceased father of James Harold Goff, Sr.
On April 19, 2022, John P. Goff was mentioned as the decease father in the obituary of Thelma Goff Wilson.