Jack Taylor Recaptured In Stolen Auto

Jack Taylor, 32, of York county and elsewhere, was the Richland county jail prisoner today awaiting transfer to the South Carolina penitentiary. Taylor, a prison trustee, escaped state custody Wednesday when he ran off, from an electrical repair detail at the state constabulary headquarters.

Taylor left his electrical prison work detail and came to Columbia and left the city in a car stolen from Smith Harrison, well known insurance executive, which had been parked at Washington and Sumter streets, officer said.

He and another man then drove out towards Camden and his companion left him 3 miles outside of Columbia.

Between Blaney and Camden, he was picked up by a state highway patrol man, who charged him with drunken driving and placed him in jail at Camden.

Admits His Identity

Sheriff G. B. DeBruhl of Kershaw county kept Taylor in jail, while the state highway patrol prepared to investigate Taylor, and to hold him for trial on the drunken driving charge before Magistrate Vincent. Taylor had obtained liquor in Columbia, he told officers.

T. Alex Heise, sheriff of Richland county; A. T. Brown, Jr., chief deputy sheriff; and James W Clamp, deputy; went to Camden and interview Taylor, who up to that time had claimed as being from Texas, and have been “working around Columbia” but had not revealed he was hunted state convict.

The sheriff continue to question Taylor in the presence of deputies and Kershaw County officials and he admitted that he was in “worse trouble” namely having escaped from state custody while a trustee.

The car, he admitted, was one that had been taken. He said he noticed the keys have been left in the car, and decided to take it.

Sent Up From York

Taylor was sent up to prison for seven years from York county on grand larceny charges.

He began sentence in January.

As a result of today’s case, Taylor wolf face loss of good behavior time (one-third of sentence); plus trial in December in court on charges of alleged automobile licensee; and probable two-year sentence more for escape from a prison institution, under the new prison escape act which went into effect this year.

Returned to Columbia

Sheriff Heise and deputies returned to the prisoner, Taylor, from Camden to Columbia and lodged him in the county jail.

A warrant was today on file in the sheriffs office for Taylor’s arrest also in connection with the theft of the Harrison car, which was valued at $1,500.

Captain of the guard C. A. Sullivan, and the identification captain, R. Fuller Goodman, were expected to have Taylor back in main prison custody during the day.

September 19, 1947  Columbia Record (published as The Columbia Record) 
 Columbia, South Carolina
Page 7

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.