Kelly Dies Finally of His Wounds

Cut With Hatchet, Shot With Revolver.


Surgical Marvel Was Kershaw Man Whose Young Kinsman Injured Horribly.

Camden, April 11 (Special) – Adolph Kelly, who had broken all surgical records, by living for more than two months after receiving on February 6 two wounds, either of which would ordinarily have caused immediate death, died last night at 7 o’clock; and as a result the charged lodged against his 17-year-old kinsman, Brooks Cornwell, who inflicted the wounds, and who has since been held in the Kershaw county jail here, has been changed from assult and battery with intent to kill to murder.

Kelly was chopped in the head with a hatchet, his brain protruding through the wound, and then was shot through the forehead, the bullet lodging just under the skin at the back of his head.

What Whiskey Did.

At his home six miles from Blaney, Kelly, on February 6, in a drunken rage, threatened with death all the members of his household. Brooks Cornwell interfered and Kelly, drawing a pistol, tried to shoot him, where upon the Cornwell boy sank a hatchet into Kelly’s head. Kelly still tried to shoot. He grappled with Cornwell and the lad in the struggle forced the muzzle of the revolver around toward his assailant, where it was discharged, the ball entering the forehead, from front to back. Kelly still showed fight, and procuring his shotgun, went through the house in search of Cornwell. Mrs. Kelly, seeing her husband’s terrible condition, begged him to lie down, which he finally did. Kelly did not lose consciouness.

Brain Protruded.

That night he was operated upon. Since then he has lingered un ther care of Dr. Team of Ridgeway, Grisby of Blaney and Watson of Columbia. Paralysis was complete in his right side and a portion of brain tissue the size of an egg protruded from teh hatche wound.

Young Cornwell says there was no hard feeling between Kelly and himself; Kelly was crazed by whiskey. Cornwell says he interfered only to protect the women of the household from Kelly’s drunken rage. The boy says there will be no prosecution of him.

April 11, 1911 State (published as THE DAILY RECORD) Columbia, South Carolina Page 14

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.